This post uses affiliate links – while they don’t cost you any extra, they help keep this blog going. Thank you!
If you’ve been a parent for any amount of time, chances are you’ve got a favorite kids’ movie or two. I’ll be brutally honest. Most of them suck. (Keep in mind that I’ve been someone’s mom for 22 years – I’ve seen a lot of them!)
There are a select few Disney movies I like as well as a few others that really aren’t too bad, though. As a matter of fact, some movies I’d actually watch again. Here’s a quick list of my top ten favorite kids movies, alternately titled “Kids Movies That Don’t Suck”.
- ET The Extraterrestrial. If you haven’t seen this one, you’re really missing out. I will warn you though – it might be a little scary for the littlest viewers, so be sure you watch it yourself first. Compared to today’s standards, ET is a pretty mild film. Go ahead and watch it. “I’ll be riiiiiiiighhhhhhht heeeeeeerrrrrrrrre.”
- Ratatouille. Paris, food, rats in the kitchen…what’s not to love? Seriously, this movie is super cute. And you might even learn a cooking tip or two. Lots of grownup words and references in this one keep the adults just as entertained as the kids. If you’re looking for a cartoon that feels more like an adult movie, Ratatouille is a great choice.
- Cinderella. The first version, not the theatrical. My favorite part of this movie is the mice. (As I type this, I’m noticing that I apparently have a thing for rodents.) Anyway, if you don’t know the story of Cinder-elly, you’ve obviously been living under a rock. Hurry up and watch it before you turn into a pumpkin!
- Freaky Friday. Oh look. It’s Lindsay Lohan before she found drugs. This movie is pretty cute, and even if you can’t stand Lindsay, Jamie Lee Curtis does a great job. It’s the perfect movie for anyone who’s ever looked at a teenager and wondered why they don’t realize how ridiculous they are.
- Rugrats in Paris. The Rugrats films are some of my favorite kids movies mostly because they have a lot of parenting jokes that the parents understand but the kids don’t. Also, the doctor’s name is Lipschitz. I bet the writers listened to a lot of Jerky Boys tapes. Side note: If you don’t know who Jerky Boys are, please don’t tell me!
- My Dog Skip. Where do I begin with this one? You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you’ll probably think about it for days when it’s over. Frankie Muniz’s character learns some serious life lessons in this film. You’ll remember some you’ve learned too. Be sure to grab the tissues, though. You’ll need them.
- My Girl. Here’s another movie you’ll need to bust out the Kleenex for. Along the same lines of life lessons and coming of age struggles, My Girl is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Again, not really for younger kids, but definitely one that’s sure to become one of your favorite kids movies too.
- Stuart Little. A mouse gets adopted by a family in Brooklyn and falls in love with a bird…have I mentioned that I used to be in love with Michael J. Fox? This is an adorable movie about inclusion and unconditional love. Kinda like my strange adoration for rodent movies.
- Frozen. This is hands down my favorite Disney movie of all time. Sure, we’re all a little Elsa’d out at this point, but I love the message. You don’t need a prince to save you. Your family is your true love. Also, I’m not ashamed to admit that “Let it Go” really has grown on me – mostly because the cold never bothered me anyway either.
- Sing. As I type this, the DVD hasn’t even been released, but the digital version is out and it’s amazing. Best. Kids. Movie. EVER. And I mean EVER. In 22 years of parenting, I’ve never seen a better one. The characters are well developed and the jokes are seriously funny. There are quite a few life lessons sprinkled into this one, too. The best part for me though was the music. Great music. I found myself singing along more than once. And there’s a lot of Matthew McConaughey. I just love that man’s voice. I saw the movie in theaters and wanted to go back the following day to see it again.
How about you? Do you have a favorite kid’s movie? Share with us!
- Things You Didn’t Know Needed Cleaning: Your Iron
- $100 Amazon or Paypal Giveaway