One of my favorite things about blue (bleu) cheese is that you can use it to fancy up a meal or to cool down spicy pub fare. Not many foods can be both classy and elegant and cool and comforting. Bacon, Bleu, and Mushroom Sliders is the perfect example.
Bacon, Bleu, and Mushroom Sliders
This recipe is so versatile. The tangy blue cheese compliments the onion and garlic-seasoned patties perfectly. Mushrooms add an entirely different texture and a grown-up vibe to what will likely be your next favorite meal.
Serve Bacon, Bleu, and Mushroom Sliders sans bun atop a bed of fresh greens for a lovely entree your in-laws would approve of. Or, eat them like I do – with a big ole’ pile of fries on a disposable plate for a to-die-for Saturday night meal.
Because who has time for fancy meals?
Just promise me you won’t use ketchup.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 t. Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 T. white onion, finely minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 3 strips bacon, cut into thirds and cooked
- Preheat oven broiler to high and set top oven rack to the second highest setting.
- Combine ground beef, mustard, garlic, and onion. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix with a fork (or your fingers) until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Divide beef mixture into 4 portions and shape each into small patties. Gently thin out the center of each patty with your thumb to keep them from puffing up while cooking. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in an oven-safe skillet. Add mushrooms and saute until nicely browned, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to pan and swirl to coat the. Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until brown on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove pan from heat and top each slider with mushrooms and crumbled blue cheese. Place skillet under broiler for 2-3 minutes until blue cheese starts to melt.
- Finally, remove the skillet from oven and top each slider with a piece of bacon. Serve immediately.
A few tips:
If your kids aren’t fans of blue cheese, these sliders can be made very kid-friendly with American or cheddar! You can also leave the mushrooms on the side – more for the grownups!
These are juicy sliders! I highly suggest using a thicker, crustier bun – sourdough or pretzel are good options.
What sides would you pair your sliders with?
Looking for some other great recipes? How about these?