Anyone that knows me knows that Halloween really isn’t my favorite holiday. I’m not thrilled with the idea of children running through the streets on a sugar high asking strangers to “trick” them. I’m not sure about you, but I spend the other 364 days in a year teaching my kid not to talk to strangers – and certainly not to take candy from them! That said, it seems unfair to deny her the chance to dress like a unicorn and parade around town in all her glory, especially as the other kids are walking past the house with buckets full of cavity-starters.
This year, there have also been a lot of “scary” clown sightings nearby, so the city has put a time limit on trick-or-treating. It’s only allowed between 5-7 pm. That’s perfectly fine by us. We plan to trick-or-treat a few stores in the shopping plaza and then come home, make our own treats, and watch Halloween cartoons.
We want to make something tasty, fast. and fun. I think these Franken-mallows fit the bill nicely! Aren’t they abso-freaking-lutely adorable? They’re super easy to make too. Here’s how.
- Square Marshmallows
- Green Food Dye
- White Melting Chocolate
- Candy Eyes
- Black Gel Icing
1. Begin by put your square marshmallows on skewers and trimming the stick if need be.
2. Next, melt your chocolate however you desire. I used the microwave which only takes seconds. Follow the directions for the chocolate you purchased.
3. Add 3-5 drops of green food coloring to the chocolate and mix. Do this quickly as the chocolate will begin to harden.
4. Begin spooning the green chocolate over the top of each marshmallow, one at a time until it’s completely coated.
5. Lay on a pan covered in wax paper.
6. Immediately place two eyes on the marshmallows while the chocolate is still wet.
7. Once cool and the chocolate is dry, use your icing to draw the hair (squiggly lines that are filled in) and the mouth (one straight line with three straight lines through the first line).
Easy as pie, right? They’re pretty tasty, too!
Do you plan on trick or treating this year? Does your town have a curfew?